Shin Ha Kyun 신하균

Guest OreoVampire

Good thing that SHK decided that he'll attend the wedding on August 10. At least another LBH's co-star from JSA could still make it after actor Song Kang Ho could not attend due to his "perfect alibi" .. LOL.. he has Snowpiercer stage greeting and promos going on. LBH really wanted these men to attend the wedding. Who knows maybe SKH will show up for just awhile and making it a JSA reunion. :) 
August 1, 2013
Shin Ha Kyun: "LBH-LMJ wedding, where to give the gift money?"
Source: Nate l thanks to mistymorning at LBH soompi for the gist ^^
201308011411141114_1.jpg

Actor Shin Ha Kyun who was on SBS Power FM 'Gong Hyeong Jin's Cine Town radio program was asked which one (between Lee Byung Hun and Lee Min Jung), he will give the wedding gift money to on August 10. 
The actor then joked, maybe neither..  but later said that because he had received the invitation from LBH, it'll be Lee Byunghun-ssi.
Shin Ha Kyun was the lead actor in Lee Min Jung's previous drama "All About My Romance" and he was LBH's co-star from JSA: Joint Security Area. Close buddies, LBH and SHK were once in the same agency, Fantom Ent.
20130801_1375330707..jpg

This is really sweet and funny.. love might come true for SHK <3
August 9, 2013
Jang Gwang: "I had my eyes on Lee Byung Hun as a future son-in-law for my daughter"
Source: OSEN via Naver.com l  thanks to mistymorning for the cool gist to share
201308091010779007_520441a33659a_59_2013

Actor Jang Gwang and his daughter, comedian Jang Yun Hee who appeared on MBC's "Three Wheels" program had an interesting tidbit shared during the show.
The actor who was the Chief Eunuch in the 2012 hit movie "Masquerade" with Lee Byung Hun (as Gwanghae/Hasun) said that while they were filming, he was thinking about LBH as a possible son-in-law.
He was still considering the 14-year gap between LBH and his daughter when news of Lee Byung Hun and actress Lee Min Jung dating came out making him feeling disappointed.
However, when the MC asked Jang Gwang if LBH ever knew about it, he replied "of course not."
The funny thing is, he said, now he's considering actor Shin Ha Kyun as son-in-law material. Jang Gwang was one of the cast of 'All About My Romance" starring SHK and LMJ.

• 1 month later...

hi new fans here :) been finished Brain few days ago and got mesmerizing by this awesome Dr. Lee Kang Hoon
i know i'm being late to the party but tbh medical dramas isn't my cup of tea usually, avoided it as far as i could but since my biased Joo Ji Hoon will take medical drama as his next projects by Brain writer, i decided to break my walls and giving it a try, and so rest of the history :P
i only knew him by news that he is mostly a movies actors and since i dont really engaged with K-Movies, bec idk but i always find k-movies is so hard to watched i always got confused by its storylines, not really my tastes kkk so never saw him until Brain :D and now i declared that i'm a FANS :x
ready to have All About My Romance and Harvest Villa as my next dramas to watch  \:D/
btw what i love most of him is his smile.. ohh gosh this man has the most sweet smiles in South Korea its infectious :)

Guest samasta93

sophie said: hi new fans here :) been finished Brain few days ago and got mesmerizing by this awesome Dr. Lee Kang Hoon
i know i'm being late to the party but tbh medical dramas isn't my cup of tea usually, avoided it as far as i could but since my biased Joo Ji Hoon will take medical drama as his next projects by Brain writer, i decided to break my walls and giving it a try, and so rest of the history :P
i only knew him by news that he is mostly a movies actors and since i dont really engaged with K-Movies, bec idk but i always find k-movies is so hard to watched i always got confused by its storylines, not really my tastes kkk so never saw him until Brain :D and now i declared that i'm a FANS :x
ready to have All About My Romance and Harvest Villa as my next dramas to watch  \:D/
btw what i love most of him is his smile.. ohh gosh this man has the most sweet smiles in South Korea its infectious :)

• 1 month later...

Love these 2 actors! thumbup.gif What a match!
November 7, 2013
Lee Jung Jae and Shin Ha Gyun Come Back with New Movie ‘Big Match’
Source: BNTNews l Nate ++
l2nenxvqbis92qvbvxfvwuwwb8093vhe.jpg
[by Chloe Yun] Two treasurable actors Lee Jung Jae and Shin Ha Gyun confirmed to appear in new action movie ‘Big Match (working title)’ together. 
Lee Jung Jae, who perfectly managed his devil character from movie ‘Physiognomist,’ takes a role of hero this time. He plays martial arts player ‘Choi Ik Ho’ who is falsely accused of murdering and tries to reveal the truth.  
On the other hand, Shin Ha Gyun plays devil game programmer who creates the cutting-edge of computer game that makes a city a huge game board. During the interview he said, “I was fascinated by the two characters’ fight scene that looks like a computer game.”
Meanwhile Lee Jung Jae and Shin Ha Gyun’s new movie ‘Big Match’ will premiere in the end of 2014. (photo by Bogyeongsa, United Pictures) 

November 7, 2013
Shin Ha-kyun, Lee Jung-jae Cast in Action Movie
by Cory Lee TENASIA l Nate ++
PS13110700059.jpg

Korean actors Shin Ha-kyun of SBS’s “All about My Romance” and Lee Jung-jae of box office hit “The Face Reader” will have a fiery showdown on the big screen next year.
Shin and Lee have been cast as the lead actors of new movie, tentatively titled “Big Match,” set to crank in next month and open in the local theaters in the second half of next year.
“Big Match” is an action movie centering around game designer called Ace (Shin) who projected a game for Korea’s wealthiest 0.1 percent of people and martial arts star named Choi Ik-ho (Lee) who rushed into the game barehanded to save his brother.
“It is a commercial film for fun-loving people. I decided to star in the film with expectations after hearing about the project from director Choi Ho,” Lee explained, while Shin also said that he was attracted to the interesting showdown between two men.
The film will be helmed by director Choi Ho, who created 2002 romance film “Who Are You?,” 2006 actioner “Bloody Tie” and 2008 period-set film “Go Go 70s.”
Reporter. Cory LeePhotographer. Gue Hye-jung photonine@tenasia.co.kr

November 7, 2013
Lee Jung-jae and Shin Ha-kyun face off in action thriller
by girlfriday dramabeans.com
LeeJungJae_ShinHaKyun1.jpg

Well I’d call this a good team-up. Though I suppose bitter rivalry to the death is a better way to put it, since Lee Jung-jae (The Face Reader) and Shin Ha-kyun (All About My Romance) aren’t exactly signing on to a buddy cop movie. There have been a few rumblings about the two leading men being courted for the same movie, and they’ve both confirmed the project, an action thriller called Big Match, where they’ll play enemies in a deadly game.
The premise is a mystery, by which I mean vague, mostly because they keep referring to the “big match” as a literal game, but don’t say what the game IS exactly. Lee Jung-jae stars as a martial arts fighter who suddenly finds himself framed for murder one day, and for reasons that escape me, he then throws every ounce of his will into this mystery game where he fights for his life and his brother’s. His character is described as a star fighter with an oddball sense of humor.
As for the game, they say it’s designed for the 0.1%, which is just more vagueness. It’s not a fight in a ring, because the game has an architect, which is the character that Shin Ha-kyun will be playing. He’s called Ace, and he’s the bad guy who uses cutting-edge technology to turn the whole city into a game board. I’m thinking it adds up to something like The Game a la Michael Douglas, but that’s totally a shot in the dark.
The project comes from writer-director Choi Ho of Go Go 70s, and is also courting pop star BoA to play the heroine in what would be her big screen debut. I caught her two-episode drama special Anticipate Love, and while the project wasn’t anything great, she was surprisingly decent and had a natural ease about her that I liked.
Big Match starts shooting in December for a 2014 premiere.

November 11, 2013
Lee Jung-jae and Shin Ha-kyun to Play BIG MATCHGO GO 70's Helmer's New Action Confirms Cast by Tae Sang-joon KOFIC
20131107134221607147.jpg

Two treasurable actors Lee Jung-jae and Shin Ha-kyun confirmed to appear in new action movie Big Match (working title) together.
LEE Jung-jae, who perfectly managed his devil character from movie The Face Reader, takes a role of hero this time. He plays martial arts player CHOI Ik-ho who is falsely accused of murder and tries to reveal the truth. 
On the other hand, SHIN Ha-kyun plays devil game programmer who creates the cutting-edge of computer game that makes a city a huge game board. During the interview he said, “I was fascinated by the two characters’ fight scene that looks like a computer game.”
Meanwhile LEE Jung-jae and SHIN Ha-kyun’s new movie Big Match will premiere in the end of 2014.

November 18, 2013
FIP and Ivanhoe to Co-Finance Asian FilmsHollywood Heavyweights Invest in Korean Films by Pierce Conran KOBIZ

ZBwLgdDCYyAkAaOBRHlC.jpg
Fox International Productions (FIP), which has been making inroads in Korean film production since 2010, has just signed a new deal with Ivanhoe Pictures, which will help them finance their slate of local language productions in 11 Asian territories, including South Korea. FIP scored a hit in 2010 with the release of NA Hong-jin’s The Yellow Sea, the hardboiled thriller starring HA Jung-woo and KIM Yun-seok. The film, which they partly financed, accrued over 2.2 million admissions and was invited to the Cannes Film Festival in 2011. Earlier this year, they released their first fully-financed film in the region, the action thriller Running Man. Starring SHIN Ha-kyun and directed by CHO Dong-oh, the film was a modest success, drawing in 1.42 million admissions. The four-year multiple picture deal will see Ivanhoe inject USD 130 million into ongoing FIP projects in Asia. Ivanhoe Pictures is a new company formed by financier Robert Friedland, producer John Penotti and executive Ray CHEN. FIP president Stanford Panitch recognizes the value of Asian markets with strong domestic market shares and this new deal demonstrates Hollywood’s growing focus on Asia. The next fully-financed Korean film for FIP will be Slow Video, a comedy from director KIM Young-tak starring CHA Tae-hyun which is currently in production. 20th Century Fox will distribute the film reuniting the Hello Ghost (2010) director-star team during the first half of next year.

• 1 month later...

January 7, 2014
Shin Ha Gyun’s Paparazzi Cut, To Become An Issue
BNTNews o73arglez8byalzfunxg1cutgee5py25.jpg
[by Sunghee Park] Recently, Shin Ha Gyun’s Paparazzi cuts are becoming an issue. 
In the pictures, Shin Ha Gyun is walking along the street in Chungdam dong or drinking tea in one quiet cafe. 
On that day, Shin Ha Gyun wore tailored coat with turtleneck knit and kaki colored pants, creating a dandy attraction. He added the framed glasses to present the classical image. With the brown colored leather shoes and classically designed black color backpack, Shin Ha Gyun presented the luxurious impression. 
Also, stripe pattered socks over the shoes proved Shin Ha Gyun’s fashion sense. Moreover, Shin Ha Gyun’s backpack which contains minimal design and zipper detail is one of the most wanted items of men.
Netizens who saw the Shin Ha Gyun’s paparazzi cut responded, “Shin Ha Gyun is getting hotter every day” or “I might fell in love watching him drinking the tea.”
Meanwhile, Shin Ha Gyun is currently working as a main cast of 2014 new movie ‘Big Match,’ staring Lee Jung Jae and Boa. 

• 1 month later...
Guest twinkletwinklefan

Do anyone have any "All About My Romance" BACKSTAGE pictures of Shin Ha-Kyun and Lee Min-Jung during backstage filming? Please share, Thanks! Really appreciated.

I just find a pic of SHK shaking the groom LBH hand, taken by a fan at LMJ wedding, why the heck he wear sunglasses when he inside their wedding, it already dark inside, LOL! Funny guy.

3553702627_1d6132d4_1.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

April 7, 2014
Big Presence for Korean Cinema at HK FilMartKOFIC and More Out in Front at Asia’s Leading Film Market

by Pierce Conran KOFIC
 SlcrJKIRdIVaygIoLdIU.jpg
Taking place over March 24th to 27th, the Hong Kong International Film & Television Market (FilMart) was once again buzzing with the latest Asian tentpoles as sellers, buyers and agencies littered the market floor. Taking place along with the Hong Kong Asian Film Financing Forum (HAF) and held concurrently with the Asian Film Awards (AFAs) and the Hong Kong International Film Festival (HKIFF), HK FilMart is a large, annual event that features many visitors from all sectors of the film field. Led by the Korean Film Council (KOFIC), Korean cinema, as usual, had a large presence at the event, with umpteen companies representing the country and some particularly visible projects catching buyers’ eyes. As in previous years, KOFIC operated an umbrella stand near the center of the market floor, allowing for various visual effects companies, festivals, project markets and film commissions to have a presence at the market. Among the prominent VFX companies under the KOFIC stand this year were Dexter Studios, which had an animatronic gorilla head from last year’s Mr. Go for visitors to play with, and Macrograph. KOFIC’s PARK Jin-hae, the Manager for Festival and Markets (Asia & North America), mentioned that six more Korean companies were present at FilMart this year. Though fielding a great deal of questions relating to all aspects of the Korean film industry, PARK revealed that “one of the major questions I was asked this year was about our location incentive program.” Seoul is currently being used as a major filming location in the upcoming blockbuster Avengers: Age of Ultron, a project which availed of KOFIC’s incentive. However, a lot of questions she received were also inquiries about the major Korean sales companies, which PARK explained “were so busy this year they would barely have time to get lunch.” Major sellers included CJ Entertainment, Showbox/Mediaplex, Finecut Inc., and Lotte Entertainment. One of the most popular Korean booths this year was Finecut Inc., which boasted an impressive lineup that encompassed both lauded arthouse films such as YEON Sangho’s The Fake and LEE Su-jin’s Han Gong-ju and enticing commercial fare such as Sea Fog, which is being produced by Bong Joon Ho. Along with The Attorney, LEESONG Hee-il’s Night Flight, which screened at the Hong Kong International Film Festival, Red Family and KIM Ki-duk’s Meobius, all these films announced sales just ahead of FilMart. Manning one of the biggest stands this year was Lotte Entertainment, which, in addition to its recent films Plan Man, Hot Young Bloods, Venus Talk and Monster, featured their upcoming period film The Fatal Encounter front and center. Buyers were given the opportunity to view a 20-minute promotional reel of the HYUN Bin-starring drama. Lotte also featured upcoming period action film Pirates, the late year period epic Memories of the Sword, JANG Jin’s comeback High Heels and the grifter sequel Tazza 2 on its sales slate for the rest of the year. As usual, Showbox/Mediaplex operated a busy booth as they delighted buyers with an extended clip/trailer of their upcoming period action film Kundo: The Age of the Rampant, which stars HA Jung-woo and GANG Dong-won. The outfit also drummed up some interest in their upcoming thriller A Hard Day, due out next month. The Divine Move, an upcoming gambling drama starring JUNG Woo-sung, was also on show. CJ Entertainment may not have drawn quite the same interest it did when its stand was shopping Snowpiercer last year, but it nevertheless drew plenty of attention for its wide slate of films, which includes next month’s The Target, their current drama Thread of Lies and their summer tentpole Roaring Currents, a period naval warfare drama with CHOI Min-sik from director KIM Han-min. Other companies present at FilMart with interesting projects included M-Line, which is handling international sales on the North Korean refugee drama Apostle, which was recently screened at the United Nations, and the upcoming Mourning Grave, a summer horror release that will mark the feature length debut of OH In-chun, a promising genre short filmmaker. United Pictures, a joint venture between BK Pictures, Opus Pictures and Zip Cinema, manned a booth and put forth their upcoming genre titles Big Match, starring LEE Jung-jae and SHIN Ha-gyun, and the thriller For the Emperor with LEE Min-ki. Serving as the unofficial end of this year’s HK FilMart was the ceremony for the 8th Asian Film Awards (AFAs), which were held in nearby Macao. Numerous Korean films were nominated at the event, including Snowpiercer, which was recognized in the Best Film, Director, Screenplay, Production Design and Costume Design categories. Also heavily nominated were The Attorney, which had contenders in three acting categories (Best Actor, SONG Kang-ho; Best Newcomer, IM Si-wan; Best Supporting Actress, KIM Young-ae), and Cold Eyes, which was nominated for Best Actress (HAN Hyo-joo), Best Supporting Actor (JUNG Woo-sung) and in technical fields such as Best Cinematography and Best Editor. At the awards themselves, SHIN Min-kyung earned an award for Best Editing for her work on Cold Eyes while JUNG Sung-in picked up the Best Visual Effects prize for Mr. Go. Along with the nominees, many Korean film figures were present at the awards, including JEON Do-yeon, star of Secret Sunshine (2007) and Way Back Home, who served as Korea’s ambassador at the AFAs, and LEE Yong-kwan, the director of the Busan International Film Festival, who was part of the jury panel and organizing committee. In addition to all the activities at the Hong Kong Convention and Exhibition Center (HKCEC), where FilMart took place, Korean films were also prominent on the lineup for the 38th HKIFF, which took place across the bay in Kowloon. Night Flight and LEE Yong-seung’s 10 Minutes were among the new features on display, while Bong Joon Ho’s Mother (2009) was screened in a newly released black and white cut. Two new shorts from directors KANG Je-gyu and JUNG Woo-sung also appeared in the HKIFF commissioned omnibuses Beautiful 2014 and Three Charmed Lives, respectively. By Pierce Conran

• 3 weeks later...

April 24, 2014
Popular Korean Film “Joint Security Area” to Hit the Small Screenhttp://www.soompi.com/2014/04/24/popular-korean-film-joint-security-area-to-hit-the-small-screen/#.U1lHDFWSwsA

joint-security-area-aff-01-g.jpg
Popular Korean film “Joint Security Area” (2000), which starred Song Kang Ho, Lee Byung Hun, and Lee Young Ae, will be produced by KBS as an eight-part drama to be released sometime this September. KBS is currently discussing the purchase of publication rights from Park Sang Yeon, the writer of the original novel, “DMZ,” that the story is based upon.
“Joint Security Area” is a mystery thriller concerning a shooting that takes place in the DMZ. Released in 2000, the film brought over five million to the theaters, and the film was also produced as a musical in 2013.
Kim Yong Soo, the head of the KBS Drama Special team, said, “Once we finish the single-episode drama specials, there will be a short break, after which we will start the drama special series. The [‘Joint Security Area’] drama will have a different feel than the movie.”
Once publication rights have been purchased and casting is finalized, filming for the drama will start sometime mid-July.
April 22, 2014'JSA: the Musical' good, not great [The Korea Times]

• 1 month later...

June 3, 2014
Movie Review: Joint Security Area (2000) by refresh_daemonhttp://www.dramabeans.com/2014/06/movie-review-joint-security-area-2000/

When Joint Security Area (2000) came out in theaters, it quickly became the most successful Korean film until that point, surpassing Shiri’s immense success the past year. And like Shiri, JSA is also a story about North-South relations and features an already successful cast (even sharing a major actor) that would go onto even greater — even international — success.

Joint Security Area features the talents of Lee Byung-heon, who has been in a number of hugely successful Korean films as well as Hollywood hits like G.I. Joe and RED 2. Playing across from him is Song Kang-ho, an equally successful actor who was recently in the international co-production, Snowpiercer. And between them is Lee Young-ae, who became a household name in China with the success of Jewel in the Palace, in which she played the title character.
And while his cast might have already garnered popularity through their previous film and television work, Joint Security Area would prove to be writer-director Park Chan-wook’s career-making film. Now he is also no stranger to international fame, having since made a cult hit with Oldboy (remade by Spike Lee just last year) and recently getting his first Hollywood directorship with Stoker.
But inasmuch as the rising stars of the cast helped, Joint Security Area like became a hit for similar reasons as Shiri: the North-South story. Let me explain.
Please continue to read at dramabeans.com

• 3 weeks later...

June 14, 2014
Korea.net's list of must-see films: JSA - Joint Security Area
Source: Korea.net via Hancinema.net
jointsecurityarea2000.jpg
A shot reverberates across the Joint Security Area in Panmunjeom in the dark dawn of October 28. Swiss Lieutenant Sophie Jang, played by Lee Young-ae, is dispatched to Korea from the Neutral Nations Supervisory Commission (NNSC) to investigate what happened. The testimonies from both sides, North Korea and South Korea, do not square with each other. South Korean soldier Lee Su-hyuck, played by Lee Byeong-Heon, is reported to have killed two North Korean soldiers. North Korean sergeant Oh Gyeong-pil, played by Song Kang-ho, managed to survive the accident. Both of them avoid talking to Lieutenant Jang. During the investigation, however, she gets the idea that another soldier from the South, Nam Seong-sik, played by Kim Tae-woo, was engaged in the accident, too. Under too much pressure, Nam jumps off a building to his death. 
All of these incidents date back to February of that year. Lee accidently fell behind during a military drill and ended up crossing the Military Demarcation Line (MDL), where he found himself stepping on a landmine. With the help of two North Korean soldiers, Sergeant Oh and Soldier Jeong Woo-jin, played by Sin Ha-gyoon, Lee escapes death. After that, the three soldiers become friends. They often meet and spend time together during the night at a guard post on the North Korean side. Soldier Nam joins them later on. 
On the day the accident took place, as they become aware that security is getting more and more intense and that other guards are on high alert, they decide to say goodbye to each other and exchange addresses and take a group photograph. 
Lieutenant Jang is eventually excluded from the investigation because it is revealed that she is the daughter of a former North Korean soldier. Jang already knows that the four soldiers have built a close friendship and that Nam killed the two North Korean soldiers, Jeong and an unknown one. It turns out that the four of them were caught hanging out by another unknown North Korean soldier. Disconcerted, Nam accidently shot his firearm, leaving the two dead. 
Lieutenant Jang, however, decides to keep it a secret. On the way to the hospital, Jang tells Lee that Jeong was killed by his gun. In shock, Lee finally kills himself, shooting himself in the mouth.
photo446641.jpgComments by film critic Kim Gyeong-wook
We had the first inter-Korean summit in Pyongyang. There was the reunion of separated families in Seoul and Pyongyang. The two Koreas marched as one into the Sydney Olympic stadium under the Unification Flag. These historic, meaningful moments all occurred in 2000 when the film "JSA - Joint Security Area" was released. Today, looking back over the past decade, inter-Korean relations have gradually deteriorated. At this point in time, however, we are reminded that the movie broke all-time viewership records for the period. 
The movie "JSA - Joint Security Area" depicts the secret friendship between soldiers of the two Koreas. Before the release of this movie, such a story and setting had been forbidden and unimaginable. During that period, pro-Communist people could not be portrayed as humanistic figures. If the military uniforms of the South didn't look better than those of the North, the scene could not get passed the censors. Adapted from the full-length novel "DMZ" by Park Sang-yeon, the movie had to go through some hard times during the review process before it was finally given a 15-years-old-or-over rating. Without plot devices that were able to overcome that which is forbidden, and in a reality where the National Security Law is soundly established, the release of the movie would have been much harder. 
The first such plot device is the scene where North Korean Sergeant Oh Gyeong-pil risks his life to remove the landmine on which South Korean soldier Lee Su-hyuck had stepped, in the middle of the Demilitarized Zone. With this, Oh becomes the lifesaver of Lee, becoming a "humane" North Korean, finally acceptable to South Korean viewers. Such a scene has been repeated again and again in more recent cinema, for example in "Secret Reunion" (2010). 
Another plot device is how the story is told using flashbacks, a cinematic technique that tracks down the mystery of an accident, in this case one that took place at a guard post on the north side of Panmunjeom. This construction lets the viewer learn the ending first, that North Korean soldier Jeong Woo-jin is dead while Oh and Lee are wounded. 
In the subsequent scene, during the investigation, North Korean soldier Nam Seong-sik attempts suicide, amplifying the curiosity of the viewer. 
When Nam is at his deathbed, the movie flashes back again to reveal that two South Korean soldiers crossed the Bridge of No Return and often hang out with North Korean soldiers. However, perhaps since viewers already know that the characters paid the ultimate price for breaking the taboo, or that the truth is yet to be discovered, the psychological resistance of the viewer seems to not be very strong. 
On top of that, the film applies elements of both fantasy and reality. It makes light of taboos, and at the same time makes appropriate use of thrills and suspense. The indication of the exact minute and second of the accident is the "reality" element, while exclusion of the year is the "fantasy" element. 
Four of the characters, Lee, Nam, Oh and Jeong, are portrayed in the film as innocent and good-natured figures. They do enjoy cockfighting and playing a version of jacks with their bullets. Through these scenes, the movie emphasizes that Lee and Nam didn't have any ideological motive at all for their behavior. The depiction of their friendship, coupled with the appropriate choice of background music, helps the film look like a fantasy fairy-tale, melting down the oppressive feeling possibly caused by breaking the taboos. 
This fantasy, which is a bit regressive, makes a subtle comparison with the attempts of Swiss Lieutenant Jang, who approaches the incident with concrete evidence and logical deduction. However, this is reality, that the simple act of picking up a hat that blew across the demarcation line can be the subject of punishment, as it violates the National Security Law. The mise-en-scène that divides the screen into two once again brings awareness to the viewer about the ongoing confrontational situation between the two Koreas. A number of scenes bring attention to the situation and come across as threatening or frightening. For instance, when an unknown North Korean solider pops up out of nowhere at the North Korean guard post, or when Oh becomes suddenly serious upon Lee's jokes about him defecting. Such obsessive fear plays a part to amplify our suspense, leading up to the final scene, which is already known. 
With such a "Red Complex" in the audience, brought about by the nation's separation, and building up with a series of accidents and incidents, the plot finally lets the four soldiers plunge into tragedy. When they reach the moment of crisis, when the unknown soldier appears at the post, their friendship is gone like a mirage. Instantly, they point a gun and return to being the "enemy" of each other. Sergeant Oh, featured as a clear-headed figure, tries to hush up what's happened, but can never break the wall of fear and distrust that is deeply and unconsciously rooted in his own psyche, and also in all of us.
What's behind the mysterious shooting is all revealed as Lee gives testimony to the Swiss lieutenant. Then, there is another anti-climax that pops up. It turns out that Lee killed Jeong, instead of Nam. Entrapped in guilt, Lee finally decides to kill himself.
According to director Park Chan-wook, the original ending he prepared had Lee and Oh meeting in a third country. At this point, when we look back on the death of Jeong and the suicide attempt by Nam, Lee's suicide is more likely to be related to the reality of Korean society, where violations loom larger than feelings of guilt. 
Instead of an encounter between the soldiers, the final scene of the film goes back to a point when Sergeant Oh picks up a hat that a tourist dropped at Panmunjeom. With the sound of camera shutters, moving images stop and the color turns black. In the freeze frame, images of the four -- Oh Gyeong-pil, Jeong Woo-jin, Nam Seong-sik and Lee Su-hyuck -- appear on screen one by one. Inside the frame, Oh and Jeong show a smile. Strangely enough, they look calm and peaceful. The screen captures close ups of each figure, one by one, reminding the viewer of their friendship. 
However, in the final scene, where all four are featured in one frame, Lee Su-hyuck uses hand gestures to tell the tourists not to take any pictures. This sign of "prohibition" disturbs the peace and is the "stain of reality". 
It's been more than 60 years since the Korean War, but we have yet to find a way to remove the stain. Simply put, the tragic fate of the soldiers of the two Koreas in the film, as well as that of Sophie Jang's father, who was a former North Korean soldier and captive during the war and who had to choose a third country, Switzerland, rather than either of the two Koreas, is unfortunate, but it is still existing today. 
-Viewed by film critic Kim Gyeong-wook*This series of article has been made possible through the cooperation of the Korean Film Archive.